SARChI Chair in Multilevel Government, Law and Policy
The research has five focal areas:
- examining the strengths and weaknesses of MLG in South Africa, resulting in publications on policy, laws, jurisprudence, and practice
- the use of MLG as a vehicle for peace-making, state-building and development in Africa. In this regard, the South Africa-Kenya Dialogue on Devolution, a joint project with Katiba Institute in Nairobi is nearing completion
- how MLG – a dominant feature in all five BRICS countries – is impacted on and, in turn, may impact on the BRICS’s initiative. A major international conference on this topic is scheduled for October 2015
- locating the South African and African MLG experience within the global discourse. In 2014 the Chair hosted an international conference on Concurrent powers in federal systems:
- building intellectual capacity through a dedicated masters in MLG, a doctoral programme and post-doctoral fellowships. In the past two years three doctoral degrees and seven masters degrees were completed.